Hello there everyone and happy Tuesday. It’s been a little while since I’ve updated the blog. Yes I know I keep making promises to be more frequent on here but unfortunately life keeps happening. A little while ago I decided I wanted to support and read more Black Authors so that’s what I’ve been doing in the last few months. So here are some of my favorites that I’ve read by Black authors.
- The Fifth Season by N.K. Jemisin – I honestly don’t think I can fully give this book the credit it deserves with just words alone. This book was so amazing! And the fact that it’s a science fiction book written by a BLACK WOMAN just makes it that much better. Jemisin does a great job of tying together the different plot lines, her writing style is so smooth and perfect and the plot itself is a masterpiece. This is honestly one of my new favorite books. I’m hoping I love the entire series as much as I love the first book.
- Such a Fun Age by Kiley Reid – I love how this book brings to light the subtle ways in which race issues can present themselves. A lot of the time when we read a book focused on race it has to do with the more extreme cases: police brutality, slavery, segregation, and murder. This book does a good job of presenting some of the ways that most people experience racism on a daily basis. I gave this one a 5/5 stars.
- If You Want to Make God Laugh by Bianca Marais – This book was definitely a five star read for me. It tells the story of two sister who have returned home in South Africa for one reason only to be faced with a ton of other obstacles and opportunities they weren’t expecting. Their story is intertwined with the story of another young native from South Africa and just watching how these stories weave together is incredible.
- These Ghosts are Family by Maisy Card – This book had a lot of raving reviews from other readers so I definitely had to give it a try. While I did love the plot and I found the style of writing to be very nice I ended up only giving this book three stars because I just wasn’t content with the way it ended. I would still recommend this book to everyone but I just wish the author added something else at the ending.
So that’s it for some of my recent reads I want to share. I am currently making my way through:
- The Obelisk Gate by N.K. Jemisin
- Giovanni’s Room by James Baldwin
- Akata Witch by Nnedi Okorafor
What are you currently reading or what was a recent book you read and loved?
4 thoughts on “Recent Reads & Current Reads”
I promised myself that I would read The Fifth Season this year!
I recently read and LOVED A Song of Wraiths and Ruin! It is my new favourite fantasy book, and I can’t wait to own a physical copy after listening to the audiobook!
Pingback: Black Bookstagrammers For Book Lovers To Follow – Totally news
Pingback: 24 Black Bookstagrammers Who Should Be On Your Radar – NogaGames